Sunday 9 November 2014

Review: Dying To Know You by Aidan Chambers


12750296

Dying To Know You
Written by Aidan Chambers
Pages:275
Published:
Format Read: Paperback

Synopsis

Karl, aged seventeen, is hopelessly in love. But the object of his affections, Firella, demands proof, and poses him a series of questions regarding his attitude to the many sides of love. But Karl is dyslexic, and convinced that if Firella finds out, she will think he is stupid, and unworthy of her, and leave him.
So Karl asks a local writer to help him construct his replies - and an unlikely, but extremely touching, friendship develops between the two men. They both come to learn a great deal about about life from a very different perspective, and when an act of violence shatters their calm, they find their respective appraisal of life shifting in profound ways.

Review

This was a really interesting different contemorary read. I loved how it was told from the old authors perspective it gave it a different feel to if it had of just been from the main characters view. AT the start of the book I thought the narrator was a middle ages female author so I was highly surprised when he turned out to be a 70 old man. I felt he was a good fit for Karl’s mentor he was wise and said some really awesome things. I loved some of the quotes in this novel and wish I had of been writing them down because they really where wonderful and really made you think. There was something about Aidans writing that was really quite lovely and I think that helped with the whole making me think.

I thought the first female love interest, Fiorella was a real dick. I really didn't like her she made me mad I wish we had of gotten to know more about the second love interest. I felt she was much more suited to Karl and a much nicer and more interesting character in general.

The dying to know you title gave me the feel that somebody was going to die so for the whole novel I was expecting the worst and well it didn't come. I felt the climax was a little miffy it was good but really short and could have been so much better than it was. I also feel the cover of the book didn't fit very well. I understand the upside down fish and the blurriness but the gold fish were right to me, it was a lovey cover in fact I really liked it just not for this book.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and would love to pick up another of Aidan's work. I would recommend this to any contemprary reader who like the sadder side of the genre.

*4.5 out of 5 Stars*


No comments: