Saturday 11 October 2014

Review: Carrie by Stephen King


10592 
Carrie
Written by Stephen King
Published first in 1974
Pages:250
Format Read: Ebook

Synopsis

The story of misfit high-school girl, Carrie White, who gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers. Repressed by a domineering, ultra-religious mother and tormented by her peers at school, her efforts to fit in lead to a dramatic confrontation during the senior prom.

Review

Okay so this was my first Stephen King book and I think I fell in love with his books with just this one. I really enjoyed Carrie it was a very interesting story about a bullied girl and how it all went wrong and got pushed too far. I feel like it would be a good book for high school bullies to read because it really shows reaction to continuous bullying, although a bit extreme. It made me think about all the crap things I had said and done to people and made me keep wanting to try change that. To me this is a good book when it makes me think about real life things rather than just the fictional worlds and story's I engross my self in. I also sympathized with the main character, Carrie because of the way she was bullied reminded me off a few years ago in my schooling  so I think this really helped me connect to her and feel what she was feeling. I loved the articles and books written after the events of the book that were slipped in right from start to finished, I felt this helped with the anticipation and foreshadowing of the end. You knew what was going ti happen. But how was it going to play out?

I noticed a couple of inconsistency's in the writing just two  but can only remember one. One one page it is a bag of screws and on the next it was a bag of nails. This bothered me just the tiniest of bits but was soon forgotten. I also found a bit around the middle a little hard to get though compared with the beginning and the end. Not sure why just wasn't quite as interesting.

Over all I really enjoyed this book. It made me think and cry and a whole bunch of other emotions so to me that is a good book. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in bullying, horror and telekinesis I cant wait to watch the two different film adaptations and to read more of Stephen Kings books in the future.


5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: